Friday, February 9, 2007

Waiting on the World to Change

"It's hard to beat the system when we're standing at distance, so we keep waiting, waiting, waiting on the world to change". I really like that song. I just finished reading a book called Under the Overpass. It was an amazing story. It was written by Mike Yankoski and he writes about his experience of living on the streets for five months. He chose to do this because he wanted, needed to know if his faith in God was real. To see if he could uphold his morals and spiritual lifestyle without the comforts he's known all his life. His story to me was just so inspiring. I don't know what Ryan was thinking when he loaned me the book because now my mind is telling me "hey! you can do that too!" I love helping others and I would give up the comforts of life to bring myself down to their level. People are people no matter what their situation. That's partly what I'm going to do when I finally make it down to Mexico. I'll be giving up my comfy lifestyle in order to serve God's purpose. One thing I couldn't believe when I was reading this book was that, when Mike and his traveling buddy Sam would go by churches to sleep or to read their Bibles or just to attend service, they were treated with anything but kindness. One church seemed so unwelcoming by its outward appearance that they didn't even want to try it. It just seems so weird to me. We as Christians proclaim that we are always willing to help and love one another but how is it when we are faced with people we are uncomfortable around. Just because people might smell and be dirty or have no home or have lived a rough lifestyle, does that mean they don't deserve to be loved? That makes no sense to me. But maybe that is just because I love to help people and would be willing to go out of my comfort zone to help others. In regards to the John Mayer song that inspired the title and opening line of this post, I love the song, but rather than waiting for the world to change, I want to change the world.

"Then Jesus said to his disciples, 'If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it.'" - Matthew 16: 24-25



Future Posts:
*Apartments
*Jobs
*Randomness of me
*Traffic
*Guarding the heart/ defining moment
*National Anthem
*Inner core
*Singing
*Growing Up
*Crying
*Blast from the Past
*Semi-Trucks
(I know there's a lot to write about but I'll get to them all, I promise.)


Quote:
"To love and win is the best thing. To love and lose, the next best."
~William M. Thackeray

No comments: