Tuesday, February 6, 2007

The Heart of a Song

Maybe it's because I am a singer, or maybe it's because I'm strange but I seem to unconciously analyze songs. When I first hear a song I don't just hear it, I listen to it, I let the song wash over me. I listen to the lyrics of the song, I find out what it is the song is trying to say to me. Not just the beat of the song or how it is sung or what genre it is. To me, the lyrics are the heart of any song. I mean other people could feel differently but in my opinion, a song is good if it has good lyrics. I know a lot of people who listen to music because they like the beat but in reality they actually have no idea what is being said in the song. I don't want to write to much on this because well American Idol is on. But when this topic came to mind I thought of two examples, musicals and country. A lot of people dislike country music and well you ask them if they want to hear a musical soundtrack they run for the hills screaming. But for a lot of those songs in those categories they actually have good heartfelt lyrics. Now I know that's not always the case, but you have to give them a chance to find out! Here are two song examples.

For Good- from the musical Wicked

I've heard it said, that people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn and we are led to those
Who help us most to grow if we let them and we help them in return
Now I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today, because, I knew you
Like a comet pulled from orbit as it passes a sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder half way through the wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better
But, because I knew you, I have been changed for good
It well may be, that we will never meet again in this lifetime
So let me say before we part, so much of me is made from what I learned from
You'll be with me like a handprint on my heart
And so whatever way our stories end
I know you have rewritten mine, by being my friend
Like a ship blown from its mooring by a wind off the sea
Like a seed dropped by a skybird in a distant wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better
But, because I knew you, I have been changed for good
And just to clear the air I ask forgiveness for the things I've done you blame me for
But then I guess we know there's blame to share and none of it seems to matter anymore

Anyway- Martina McBride

You can spend your whole life building something from nothing
One storm can come and blow it all away...Build it anyway
You can chase a dream that seems so out of reach
And you know it might not ever come your way...Dream it anyway
God is great, but sometimes life ain't good
When I pray, it doesn't always turn out like I think it should...but I do it anyway
This world's gone crazy and it's hard to believe
That tomorrow will be better than today...Believe it anyway
You can love someone with all your heart for all the right reasons
And in a moment they can choose to walk away...Love them anyway
God is great, but sometimes life ain't good
When I pray, it doesn't always turn out like I think it should...but I do it anyway
You can pour your soul singing a song you believe in
That tomorrow they'll forget you ever sang...Sing it anyway
I sing. I dream. I love.

lyrics to ponder!


*Future Posts*
*Apartments
*Jobs
*Randomness of me
*Traffic
*Guarding the heart/ defining moment
*National Anthem
*Inner core
*Singing
*Growing Up
*Crying
*Blast from the Past
*Semi-Trucks
(I know there's a lot to write about but I'll get to them all, I promise.)

Quote:
"When it's cold outside, show the world the warmth of your smile"

2 comments:

Ryan Maguire said...

I feel like I might have inspired this post.

Jessica said...

you did.