Thursday, January 18, 2007

Fool Me Once Shame On You, Fool Me Twice Shame On Me?

So on my way home from work this morning I was listening to a song on the radio (don't ask me which one I don't remember) and it got me thinking about second chances. I don't really even think that the song I was listening to had anything to do with second chances, but that's just how my mind works. But to the point now, when is it right to give someone a second chance and when is it a one shot deal? Many of you have heard the saying "once a cheater always a cheater" but is that always true? Under what circumstances do people not deserve a second chance? And when do they deserve one? In reference to my title of this particular post, if I give someone a second chance when they've done me wrong and then they go and do it again, is it really my fault? Or should we all be entitled to second chances and if we blow it then it's our own faults and not the faults of those who were generous enough to give us another chance. And then how many chances is to many? I hear about people who were cheated on but they still took their boyfriend/girlfriend back only to have it happen over and over again. Does anyone ever learn a lesson is we are constantly given/giving second (third,fourth,fifth) chances? My thoughts in the matter are that it just depends. If someone kills another man I'm not going to just give him a gun and say it's ok, I'll give you another chance only to have him kill someone else. I'm not dumb. But if I make a mistake and I am sincerely sorry about it, I expect to be given another chance. Now I'm not saying I'm going to go cheat on a boyfriend and expect to be taken back (mainly because I would never cheat on anyone). But I don't really believe in once a cheater always a cheater (unless I was the one cheated on because that's a different circumstance) but if I start a new relationship with someone who had in the past cheated on someone, I'd be willing to give them a chance. People make mistakes and people grow-up. It's all part of life, it just takes others longer to figure things out and get there act in order.
So my overall message I guess is, when is it ok to give second chances and is does everyone deserve them?




Future Posts:
*Apartments
*Jobs
*School
*Randomness of me
*Vanity



Quote:
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"
~John Lennon

2 comments:

Ryan Maguire said...

I love the fact that God gives multiple chances. If He didn't, I would be in some serious trouble.

AJ Harbison said...

I've also been curious from time to time about when second chances are appropriate. But my good friend Mike Morabito had some words of wisdom for me. We were talking about a friend of mine (well, a former friend) who had hurt me very deeply, and I had a really hard time forgiving him. I knew that I had to forgive him, and eventually by God's grace I made that choice. But Mike told me that there's a difference between forgiveness and trust. I can forgive you if you've hurt me, but it does not mean that I will be able to trust you again. Forgiveness, as I understand it, is the cancelling of a debt. To use a monetary illustration, if I lend someone money and they can't pay me back, I can forgive them and cancel their debt, but it doesn't mean that I need to lend them money again. Grace and truth. Fortotrain.

AJ
<><