Friday, May 9, 2008

I predict death before the age of 30.

Not for me. I'm going to live until I'm 400. But my dear friend Ryan, I swear he is going to die within the next 10 years. He always tells me not to worry about him. We argue over whether or not racing is the best thing in the world. Our arguments lead into fights, yet who is proven right? Me! I mean, of course I support him but there has to be a point where he just knows when to give it a break. Start racing only 3 weekends out of the month, then maybe twice a month. This last accident was just too unbearable for me to deal with. I spent the whole day after the accident having multiple panic attacks. What an awful feeling it is to not know if your best friend is ok.

For those who don't know:
Ryan was racing a few weeks ago and his bike hit a rock which threw him over the handlebars and he landed on his head. He was airlifted to a hospital in Bakersfield. I got a text Monday at about 1:45 in the morning telling me he was in the hospital. I texted him but his brother had his phone and telling me that he was having surgery that day. Ryan called me later that night telling me that he broke his neck and crushed his lower vertabrae. If he had crushed it any higher he would have died. He just found out the back of his brain is bruised which is why his vision is messed up (he's somewhat color blind). He also has to wear a halo neck brace which is this big metal thing that entraps his head and is screwed into his skull.

Seriously, he's always getting injured. I try to be supportive, really I do. Because I know how important racing is to him. But I'd love to see Ryan be able to live a long life free of injury and any other ailment. How can I stop worrying about him when he's always getting hurt. I love this kid to death and I don't know what I'd do without him. Blah. Why couldn't he be interested in something like badminton, that can be somewhat fun and a lot safer!

3 comments:

AJ Harbison said...

I don't know... badminton players can be pretty vicious.

I hope he's doing okay. Since I don't see him anymore I'd love to see updates on your blog here.

And the next time I see you, remind me to play you the song "400 Years Old." It was written by an old roommate of mine, talking about how he's going to live to that age too. It's awesome.

AJ
<><

Idhrendur said...

Ditto to everything AJ said.

Ryan Maguire said...

You have a good heart